Step by Step Custom Breyer Remake (Mendhi-Classic Rearing Stallion)

Standard

Today I began working on a remake of a classic sized Breyer in the Rearing Stallion mold.  Here he is before: Image Unfortunately he came to me with a broken tail.  Breaks on any Breyer can be tricky to fix.  Before taking on that task, first I went ahead and sanded him down. Image and then pieced together and primed Image Check out my sweet puppy Ruf-Ruf posing for ya there in the background :). At this point, I kinda forgot to keep up with all of the picture taking, but I think I can talk you through it.. Image I started out with a translucent yellow base, but looking at it I decided that it was too, well, yellow. So, I thought that I might try to go for a sunset effect by adding on translucent red while the yellow was still wet. Didn’t quite work out the way I would have liked.  He mostly just turned out yellow and red instead of the nice red-orange-yellow fade I had hoped for, so I added another coat of yellow on top. Image Again, not what I was going for. And then came a sudden rain shower, which forced me to pick up my wet horse and move him inside to dry. Well, you can imagine that this did not go well at all. I’ve had my eyes open for a lazy susan to make painting in the round more easy, but I haven’t found one yet. Today’s experience has let me know that maybe I need to put my horse on an old plate or something if I am painting outside so that I don’t have to actually handle them in the event of sudden downpours, and the like.  As you may have guessed, 3 coats of wet paint + fingers = mess!  Still, since I do not believe in accidents, I decided to just go with it.  I got out my fine sandpaper and proceeded to give him a distressed look that, end the end, I liked very much.  It reminded me of some kind of ancient artifact…an old temple idol… Following this line of thinking, I dug out some old temporary tattoos that I’ve had for ages. Image I was pretty sure I would be able to apply the temporary tattoos to the model.  I’d never actually done it before, but I had tried using rub-ons on my test model, and usually rub-ons and temp tattoos can be used on the same surfaces, so I decided to give it a go.  Fortunately, it worked out really well and I was pleased with the results.  However, I only had a couple of good tattoos for the model.  I went back to the store to see I could get some similar ones, but I only found rock n roll and hippie tats….Plan B?  I dug out my charcoal Sakura glaze pen and drew the rest of them in myself. It took about 2 hours and nearly the entire contents of my pen to cover the whole body, but I was generally pleased with the result. ImageImage As soon as all of the ink was dry I sprayed him down with a couple coats of sealer to keep it from smudging. Later, I added black points on him and finished him off with a dab of translucent metallic gold, red and turquoise, just to him a little extra sparkle. Image Ta-Da! Thanks for visiting!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s